EVENING NEWS - A Short film by Eren Gulfidan
Omne trium perfectum. Meaning, "Everything that comes in threes is perfect" or "Every set of three is complete." The rule of three has been a fascination in literature and film for centuries. From Shakespeare to Chekov, from Dostoyevsky to Woody Allen and Margarethe von Trotta, many writers and filmmakers have explored the theme of 'three siblings,' especially of three sisters, in their work. Well, I'm next!
What is the film about?
In Evening News, the bond between three sisters gets tested while spending an evening with their grandmother who battles with Alzheimer's disease.
Interesting... But what is the film really about?
Evening News is a story about sisterhood, family, dependency, jealousy, and loss. It's also a film about love and compassion. The bond between the sisters, Erica, Olivia, and Jane, is explored through their relationship with their grandmother Gloria, who is slowly losing touch with herself and the world around her due to her illness.
Okay, but why do you want to tell this story?
As a young woman and a filmmaker, I want to tell a truthful story about young girls, kinship, and the importance of growing up in a family of women and how that shapes one's character. Most importantly, I am trying to approach this devastating disease from an 'everyday' perspective to make it more relatable so that there is less stigma around it and people can talk about it more openly. As I get older and make new connections, I realize that more people than I could ever think of have lost a relative or a family member to Alzheimer's. This shouldn't come as a surprise though since 1 in 10 people age 65 and older (10 percent) has Alzheimer's dementia, and almost two-thirds of Americans with Alzheimer's are women.
One of my goals by making this film is to encourage people to share their stories about this disease without feeling burdened or ashamed, hence creating more awareness around Alzheimer's. And even though this story is fictional, it is deeply personal to me. As the youngest of three sisters, I had a very close connection with my grandmother who suffered from Alzheimer's disease and I hold the memories of her very close to my heart.
I am self-funding a portion of this film as I did with all my previous work, however, this time, I am not able to cover all the expenses alone. So I am turning to you. My goal is to raise $8000. This amount will go towards equipment rental, locations, and feeding our super talented cast and crew. I am offering several rewards in return including signed and limited edition prints of my ink drawings, original figure studies I made under the instruction of master painter Leonid Gervits at the Art Students League of New York, film downloads, and other surprises. 8% of the total amount of funds I receive will be donated to the Alzheimer's Association. Read below to learn more about why I am doing this. But rewards first:
How does it work?
- $10 or more - Thank you so much for supporting our film. You'll get a social media 'thank you' shout out from our team and will also be listed as a donor in the film's credits. (Use donate button below).
- $25 or more - Backers-only streaming of my previous short film, Daydreaming, which had its European premiere last month in Paris at We Love Paris Film Festival. The film hasn't been publicly released so you'll get to see it before anyone else. Plus, you'll be listed as a donor in the film's credits. (Use donate button below).
- $50 or more - Backers-only streaming of Evening News after the film finishes its festival run + streaming of Daydreaming + your name in the donor credits. (Use donate button below).
- $110 - Signed and limited edition photograph shot on 35mm film by me. Plus backers-only streaming of Evening News + your name in the credits. Go to photo shop.
- $135 - $175 - Signed and limited edition ink drawing by me (framed and unframed options available*) + backers-only streaming of Evening News + your name in the credits. Go to ink shop.
- $200 - $250 - Signed and limited edition reproductions of figure studies I made under the instruction of master painter Leonid Gervits who has been honored by the Presidium of the Russian Academy of Arts, the highest art recognition in Russia. Framed and unframed options available*. Plus backers-only streaming of Evening News and your name in the credits. Go to reproductions shop.
- $275 - $325 - Original drawing. Give me a theme or a word or an image, and I'll make you an original drawing that no one else in the world will have. $275 unframed, $325 framed*. Plus backers-only streaming of Evening News and your name in the credits. (Use donate button below).
- $350 - $400 - Original drawing by me + original poem by actor and published writer Lillian Isabella. $350 unframed, $400 framed*. Plus backers-only streaming of Evening News and your name in the credits. (Use donate button below).
- $500 - $800 - Original framed figure and still life studies** I made under the instruction of master painter Leonid Gervits who has been honored by the Presidium of the Russian Academy of Arts, the highest art recognition in Russia. There is one of each. Plus backers-only streaming of Evening News and your name in the credits. Go to original drawings shop.
Please note that domestic shipping costs are included in the prices. For international shipping, you will be charged an additional $15 when you check out. ALL ITEMS WILL BE SHIPPED IN SPRING 2018.
*Framed drawings are not available for international shipping due to high shipping costs. But I will gladly send you unframed artwork!
**If you're interested in an original figure study or still life, but are located outside of the United States, please contact me directly at email@example.com and I will give you a quote for the unframed work + international shipping cost.
Use the donate button for all donations except the rewards that are available in the shops.
UPDATE: $10,319.83 HAS BEEN RAISED AS OF MARCH 19, 2018. WE SURPASSED OUR GOAL OF $8,000. THANK YOU TO ALL THE DONORS!!!
Why aren't I using Kickstarter or Indiegogo or another third party platform?
Most of the third party platforms take 8% of your collected funds as a service fee. So I decided to forego them, and I will be donating 8% of the funds I receive to the Alzheimer's Association instead.
Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and considering to donate to my campaign to make our film a reality. With your help, we will not only create a one-of-a-kind, inspired piece of art but also support a crucial cause.
All donors will receive email updates about the project. If you would like to opt-out from these updates, please send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Team Evening News